You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: Product Idea: Midi Controller and Soundcard

Lightbulb Product Idea: Midi Controller and Soundcard

More and more Keyboardists I know aren't buying traditional keyboards anymore. They're using stuff like MainStage and just a cheap(er) midi controller and their laptop.

We've actually been doing this for a while at my church, but there are a couple of things that I find difficult about the set up. Namely, a decent audio device. Struggling with using the headphone line out. It seems like there's always some sort of buzz coming through the cable. (blasted semi-powered lines) and setting up another usb device (with two or three keyboards and a computer that I already have to hook up) just seems largely unappealing.

What would be great is a USB midi controller keyboard that has a sound card built into it. Bonus points would be to have XLR outputs (L+R) and two 1/4" outputs that could be separate from the XLR or mirrored. (I'm also sick of dealing with DI boxes) or the L 1/4 could combine a mono output of the XLR Stereo. (toggle buttons) Just a really high quality output (96k). 1/4" is for running a monitor that doesn't effect what you're sending the house. We don't even need a mic input (though you could put one on the back and sell a goose neck for Vocoder action, but even that wouldn't need to be a high quality input, just something cheap for a vocoder). I haven't seen ANYONE make ANYTHING like this yet (if you do know of someone, let me know because I'm interested) and something like this totally fits Behringer's niche.
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

Michael.Maeurer
    Dear Brian,

currently we have something like this in our product range, the UMA25S. But maybe the 2 octaves slim keys will not fit your needs:
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UMA25S.aspx

It's cool but it's only rca. I'd want at least a 1/4" TRS, if not outright XLR. It's also 16 bit 48k. My three year old mbp does 16 bit 96k. So it's a loss there as well. Plus the keys aren't weighted. I guess what I had in mind was more pro features (fully weighted 88 key balanced output ect) to use at a concert and cut down on 20 minute setup times because of cables, computers, power supplies, stands, extra sound card boxes, and DI's.

The UMA25S is perfect for doing EDM stuff, like with Ableton (since so much pro DJ gear is using RCA inputs), but not so much Mozart or Beethoven, or TSO or Nightwish.
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton