You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: Why Not Open Source?

Why Not Open Source?

First, I want to say thank you to Behringer for providing things like a linux app, and I'm certainly happy to contribute to make things easier for Linux and other users. But I have to ask: Why have close sourced software? What does it benefit Behringer? How does it benefit your customers?

I can think of a lot of reasons to opensource the code, but I really can't think of any reasons why you would want to keep it closed. Particularly with the X32-Edit app but I'm sure there are other apps out there as well

Although this is kinda directed at Behringer, I'm not sure they'll be able to respond, so I posted this here to encourage some community dialog. Please don't hesitate to shout out your thoughts/guesses.
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

I think you are right, Brian. There are so many very talented and definitely motivated X32 users with software development background, that it only makes sense to open it up to those who actually use it to enhance what Behringer has started and fill in the void of applications for needed uses and platforms, that Behringer doesn't seem to have time or the desire to fulfill.

Paul