You are here: Home » Forum
BEHRINGER_Billboard-XD80USB
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big boom and crackle when unmuting mute groups

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Kwan View Post
    We use Senheisser ew100 G3 wireless packs and transmitters. - Yes I've heard interference before but this is different. Its extremely loud pop and crackle.
    Hi Sam,

This is a longshot. But we also use the Sennheiser ew100 G3 bodypack for the pastor's mic. We also got him the good Countryman E6 headset. This was before we switched everything over to the X32/S16/P16 equipment. For the first 8 months or so, everything was fine. But then we began having similar loud pops during his sermon. Everything else was muted. At first we thought it was static discharge and told the pastor to wear something different. We even grounded the podium and told him to touch it occasionally. That didn't help. Long story short (after trying everything for about 6 months), we finally replaced the Countryman E6 with a $25 knock-off and have not had that problem since. We have wiggled the cable between the Countryman headset and bodypack and it seemed to be fine. Unfortunately Countryman only has a 1 year warranty. So instead of replacing the $500 Countryman, we got a few of the $25 knock-offs to be thrown out whenever they give problems.

Have you tried changing headsets to the Sennheiser bodypacks?

Paul

Hi Paul,

That sounds quite interesting. Initially I thought it was the wireless too, and maybe it is. We have a really cheap one as well that we use.. out of interest (off topic) what headset are you using, I guess its good

Back to the topic. Well it happens even when the headsets are not in use. But we have a wireless mic (ew100 g3). Now having a thought of it, it does seem to happen concurrently when the wireless mic is in use.

Well, I'm going to switch to a different channel next sunday and see it happens.

Ah don't we all love trouble shooting

Sam, for our situation, it wasn't the Sennheiser wireless unit that was giving us the popping. It was the Countryman E6 headset. The cheap knock-off I get off ebay from a fellow in Vancouver (audio-kingdom). I know it is not Shure or Sennheiser, etc. but I've been very please with the results of everything I've bought from that seller.

Wink

Sam, one way to check the E6 for a cable problem is to start at the top by the ear piece with the Sennheiser body pack and unit on and the channel un-mutted and up, slowly run the cable top to bottom between your index finger and your thumb to see if it makes noise. If it doesn't it might still be a problem within the ear piece itself. I had one of my E6s do this a couple of years ago. I am currently using Pyle-Pro PMEMS10 In Ear Mini XLR Omni-Directional Microphone over-ears for most everything I am doing an they sound fantastic at $19.00 per unit.

You might try one.

Bill
    Bill Schnake
    Schnake Sound, Inc
    Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Schnake View Post
    I am currently using Pyle-Pro PMEMS10 In Ear Mini XLR Omni-Directional Microphone over-ears for most everything I am doing an they sound fantastic at $19.00 per unit.
    Ironically we're using the model as well, and they price/quality is awesome.
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

Jaffrey, New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Gotta get me some too! How do they terminate?
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

Henry, the ones that I have work with Shure and use the TA4F connector. We used these with the 11 day Fiddler on the Roof production I did back in April and they were outstanding.

Bill
    Bill Schnake
    Schnake Sound, Inc
    Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

Quote Originally Posted by Henry More View Post
    Gotta get me some too! How do they terminate?
    We have two, one is a mini-xlr and the other is some sort of 1/8" if I remember right. They had different variations.
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

Jaffrey, New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Schnake View Post
    Henry, the ones that I have work with Shure and use the TA4F connector. We used these with the 11 day Fiddler on the Roof production I did back in April and they were outstanding.

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Monroe View Post
    We have two, one is a mini-xlr and the other is some sort of 1/8" if I remember right. They had different variations.

Thanks Bill and Brian. Do you know if they come in dynamic cardioid? Or is omni the only choice.

Any particular supplier?
    Bill - you can PM me if you don't think it appropriate to post it here on the board.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Kwan View Post
    Hello,

Recently we have had a problem that we are trying to find out but I'll see if you guys can help.

We have a Behringer X32 connected to S16 and another 16 channels of analog snake.
    We have instruments and mics connected to both digital and analog snakes.

I created three mute groups to mute various instruments and mics.

On several occasions, I would turn on the mute groups and on, everything would work. But on other occasions (and not repeatable it seems), everytime I unmuted the mute groups, there would be a loud boom and crackle. (possibly quite bad for speakers but we have outboard limiters on the speakers). It happens momentarily and sometimes comes back a 1-2 minutes later as a single boom/crackle.. But most of the time it happens once when I unmute the groups.

Any possible reason this is happening?

One thing I noticed is that, whenever the band plugs in their instruments, it seems to happen. But this is strange as other days it seems to be fine.

I am using an unshielded Cat 5e cable, could this be a problem as well?

Thanks guys!
    Try increasing the squelch on your wireless mic receivers. From your posted recording it sounds like it could be RF. squelch will only help in your transmitters were powered off while you heard the noise. I hope this helps you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast