You are here: Home » Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big boom and crackle when unmuting mute groups

Sam - Unless I'm misunderstanding, if it's taking as long as 40 seconds after you un-mute for the noise to happen, and it continues to happen randomly 5 minutes down the road, it would seem to me it has nothing to do with the mutes. Unfortunately, for you to be able to chase it, find it, and fix it, you're going to have to reproduce it...Consistently. Do you have access to a laptop and DAW? You could run USB or FireWire from the console into the laptop, and record all 32 channels. Once you have the noise recorded, you could go back and check the recording to see if you can narrow it down to any specific input channel(s). If it's not on the inputs, you can rule them out and move on to bus's and outputs. You could also do an overall recording to USB stick. That won't allow you to narrow down by channel, but you could maybe narrow down by what's happening on stage when the noise hits and see if there's any pattern.

Jaffrey, New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Then there could be something kicking *on* with in the building or next door around the time that you start the service - Now this is really grabbing at straws.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

Hi Gary,

That's helpful, yes I'm in the process of hooking up the firewire to do 32 channel recording.

And funny you mention recording! Because I have a recording of the problem!
    See if anyone can recognise what they think it is! It happens twice (rare)

Hear it
    https://copy.com/Me93dkNZEpvlDd4U
    (I have normalised the file so your speakers won't be blasted

Now in this instance, it's actually a few minutes after I've unmuted the groups and the band is already playing. I can assure you its nothing to do with instrumental cables. The person speaking is using a wireless mic and at this point he has already been speaking for some time.

You can hear him exclaim that it happens every week Opps!
    Last edited by Sam Kwan; 06-26-2013 at 06:23 AM.

Now no one has asked but out of curiosity ... What kind of FOH speakers/amps and management do you have? I guess at the same time ... What is your monitor set up? We can look there for possible gremlins.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

Well we had an old analog Mackie mixer before and nothing like that seems to have happened.
    FOH seems to be fine.

Monitors well we are running out from the S16, to 2 Mackie Active SRM350s and 2 crap Larney floor monitors (Yea they should be thrown away).

The funny thing is for the last two sundays we have stopped using the Mute Groups, and everything seems to be fine. Hence I mentioned the Mute Groups.

There is a lot of reverb on that POP do you have electronic drums?

That's a hell of a pop. Are you sure there's not a pigeon shoot going on in the next room? <grin>

Seriously...That sounds like something being plugged in or out of a live channel. I know you said you've ruled that out, but that's what it sounds like to me. Maybe an acoustic guitar with a bad cable?

What else was different the last two Sundays? Different players on stage? Different instruments?

Henry More:
    No analog drums. We are in an old church hall. And there is a lot of natural reverb but also I think at that time, there's additional reverb as well to some of the channels.

Gary:

Same band. Same cables. Same instruments.

Come to think of it, something similar happens when someone plugs in an electrical source (ie: ipod charger) on the stage. Some kind of pop and crackle. The guitarist has a tuner connected (one of those BOSS pedal tuners) connected to an electrical source to power it. I thought it might be it. But that should have happened the last two sundays too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Baker View Post
    Maybe an acoustic guitar with a bad cable?
    Those piezo cables can be pretty delicate and might cause something like that.

To my ear when I cranked it up it sounded a little bit like an RF burst. Like there was static just a little before the pop. Almost like the channel switching on a diversity wireless system was switching in late.
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Kwan View Post
    Come to think of it, something similar happens when someone plugs in an electrical source (ie: ipod charger) on the stage. Some kind of pop and crackle. The guitarist has a tuner connected (one of those BOSS pedal tuners) connected to an electrical source to power it. I thought it might be it. But that should have happened the last two sundays too.

Sounds like it's time to buy some grounding rods at the local hardware store.
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast