You are here: Home » Forum
BEHRINGER_Billboard-XD80USB
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XiControl loses connectivity

Question XiControl loses connectivity

Can anyone help with an XiControl problem? I'm running XiControl on an iPad 2 and after a while it loses the connection to my X32 (running firmware 1.13). If I try XControl on my Mac, that is still able to connect. I've tried rebooting the iPad, but it doesn't help. The only way I can restore connectivity is to reboot the X32 itself, which obviously isn't possible during an event!

Currently I'm running on a LAN infrastructure where the WiFi/iPad is on a different subnet to the X32. The Mac is on a wired connection on the same subnet as the X32. Is this likely to be the cause of the problem or is there something else I can try before finding my own access point?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dropped packets when you're running on different subnets is common. You can just change the subnet on the X32 to match the Wifi subnet. Typically routers will leave 100ish IPs available for static when it hands out DHCP (So the gateway is 192.168.1.1 the first addy handed out will be 192.168.1.100 so you can pick anything between 192.168.1.2~99)

Just to be clear, your X32 is plugged into your wifi router right?
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

It's a corporate LAN setup. The X32, MacBook and access point are all plugged into a managed Cisco switch, but the WiFi is on a separate subnet/VLAN. There's no firewalling between the two. If you think it's likely to be a problem with traffic crossing subnets I'll see if I can get another AP on the same VLAN and see if that helps... It just seemed a bit odd to me that the only way to fix it was to reboot the mixer rather than the iPad.

Corporate lan also probably means port Security. That could be blocking your packets as well. I would set up your own dedicated network. $15 ASUS routers from Fry's run DDWRT natively and they're super stable. (even more so if you flash your own DDWRT image) That's what we're using in our venue and we haven't had any lag or dropped signals.

The other bonus is ASUS typically has removable antennas so you can increase your range by 5 or so for an extra $20.
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

I have also found that eg Line6 2,4 ghz wireless equipment disturbs wireless lan.... Solutuion: use 5 ghz wireless lan... I have NOT found a way to get reliable 2,4 ghz LAN (iPad) while 2,4ghz Line6 wireless equipment (wireless guitar/bass) is turned on

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Kildholt View Post
    I have also found that eg Line6 2,4 ghz wireless equipment disturbs wireless lan.... Solutuion: use 5 ghz wireless lan... I have NOT found a way to get reliable 2,4 ghz LAN (iPad) while 2,4ghz Line6 wireless equipment (wireless guitar/bass) is turned on
    http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-1957

Wi-Fi Interference

Q: Why does my Wi-Fi slow down when I get my transmitter near my computer?

A: Because Wi-Fi and Line 6 2.4GHz wireless products share the same frequency band-space. Some users may experience a slowing down or even interruption of their Wi-Fi capabilities when using microphone or instrument transmitters in close proximity to their computers or routers. This is an example of a near/far interference problem and it may be intensified because consumer grade Wi-Fi typically has limited RF dynamic range. Using more XD-V channels operating at the same time will create more competition to Wi-Fi than a single channel would.

If your Line 6 transmitter gets within 6 feet of your laptop you may witness this situation especially if your Wi-Fi access point is some distance away. Typically, simply moving your Line 6 transmitter farther away from your computer will remedy the situation.

Users of Line 6 twelve channel systems can switch their transmitters to the “low power” setting as this will mitigate the problem as well. If you are using the system outside the USA you can likely switch your Wi-Fi channels to 12, 13 or 14 depending on your location. The frequencies for these channels are outside the Line 6 2.4GHz frequencies.

Likewise, switching Wi-Fi to 802.11n in the 5GHz band will avoid Line 6 wireless frequencies and double your potential Wi-Fi throughput.

Suggested channels settings to avoid interfering with Wi-Fi:

Wi-Fi Channel Number - Line 6 Channel Number
    ===============================
    1 - 1, 12
    6 - 2, 6
    11 - 5, 8, 9
    Last edited by Robert Lofgren; 06-19-2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Formatting

+1 to your post Robert. Good find!

Lightbulb

Line6 wireless updated to the latest firmware can operate in two modes - rf1 and rf2.

Rf1 is the old 12 channel mode that was on the original wireless and rf2 added two extra channels giving you a total of 14 channels. Rf2 was also designed to be more wifi friendly.

Do not mix RF1 and RF2 modes on the same stage (either guitar or mics) because otherwise the modes will interfere with each others causing an unstable environment.

If you are using the Line6 wireless system outside the USA you can likely switch your Wi-Fi channels to 12, 13 or 14 depending on your location. The frequencies for these channels are outside the Line 6 2.4GHz frequencies.

Likewise, switching Wi-Fi to 802.11n in the 5GHz band will avoid Line 6 wireless frequencies and double your potential Wi-Fi throughput.

Most of the time Wi-Fi uses channels 1,6 and 11 (as these are the non overlapping channels). Use these suggested channels settings to use for avoiding interference between normal Wi-Fi@2.4GHz and Line6 wireless:
    WiFi Channel RF1 Channel RF2 Channel
    1 1,12 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    6 2,6 1,2,3,4,5,9,10,11
    11 5,8,9 1,2,3,4,5,12,13,14
    12,13,14 ALL ALL

Note: Wifi channels 12-14 are always free from Line6 interference.
    Last edited by Robert Lofgren; 06-22-2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Updated with rf-modes and info

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Lofgren View Post
    However wifi channels 12-14 are still free from Line6 interference.
    I know not all routers have those as options, like you said, for those inside the US. If your router does not have channels 12, 13, or 14 available, you can often gain access to them by installing your own firmware. DDWRT can give you a lot of extra availability/pro-features out of your old home router. You can find more at http://www.dd-wrt.com to see if your router is supported.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast