You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: Eurolive Line Array series

Eurolive Line Array series

Hi,

As a huge fan of the X32 line, your studio monitors, and really keen about the direction Behrnger is taking, lately, I'm really curious about your upcoming Eurolive system.

I just have a few remarks about the marketing description which I would like to share - in a humble and constructive way. I really believe - and hope - Behringer can change the game in Line Arrays systems as it has in digital consoles, but there's some important things you need to get right.

Here is what is written on your description page :

"Although line array systems have been around for more than 50 years, they have only come into prominence over the past few years, mainly due to their use in large-scale concert venues. "

This is not true. Line Source theory has been known for a long time, but its practical implementation in live sound is only 20 years old, due to a sudden technical progress in the early 90's - which no one believed could work at the time. When the very first line array system came out in 1993, at first, many people in the pro audio scene were very skeptical about its possible performance - visually, the line arrays were using much less boxes than what was usually used with conventional systems.

So no, line arrays have not been around for more than 50 years at all.

"Vertical line-arrays are created by stacking or suspending identical loudspeaker cabinets so the LF (Low-Frequency) and HF (High-Frequency) drivers, are placed in exact vertical alignment with each other. This enables them to work together to send sound waves much further than a single driver could."

This could not be further from the truth.
    Simply stacking acoustic sources vertically is not the reason why line arrays send sound waves further.
    Stacking sources is what used to be done long before line arrays were invented, with big clusters of conventional boxes. Sources were vertically aligned, but the acoustics result was very heteregenous : absolutely not a line source, but an interferential field.

"By using specially designed waveguides or horns, horizontal sound dispersion can be very wide, while keeping the vertical alignment extremely tight. "

The waveguides are not primarly designed to widen sound dispersion, but to enable acoustic coupling by shaping the wavefront.

I understand you wish to keep a simple technical presentation, but by providing incorrect assertions, you lose credibility to your potential more technical savvy early adopters as I - even before the product has been released.
    And again, I wish you change the game - much can be done on this market - but you have to take it seriously.
    Building a line array system is not as simple as putting horns in a rectangle shaped box.

Really hope to hear from you, and open to further discussion !

Olivier
    (Paris)

Hi Olivier,

First, welcome to the forum. From one huge fan of the X32 to another (no I don't work for Behringer), thanks for your detailed post. One of the things I really like about this forum is the openness and acceptance of ideas and constructive criticism by both us members and Behringer. I know almost zilch about line arrays and your post has piqued an interest to do further research. Even though I may never need them (or could afford them - I do small to medium size events), it doesn't hurt to be informed about all aspects of the audio world.

Hope you will continue to be an active member.

Paul

Thank you for your message Paul !
    There is quite a lot of literature on the subject, but most of it tends to get quickly very theoretical.

These two pages are probably the most accessible, without compromising about the facts : (I used Google translate to translate them quickly into English) :

a quick introduction about what a sound wave is :
    http://translate.google.com/translat...essonores.html

and more specifically about line arrays :
    http://translate.google.com/translat...com%2Fwst.html

Let me know if it helps !

Thank you Olivier,

Those articles are nicely written for a novice like myself. I've gone through the first one and about half way through the second one.

Paul

Anyone from Behringer loudspeakers want to chime in ?