You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: help needed - Popping noises from wireless mics and x32

Question help needed - Popping noises from wireless mics and x32

Hi all,

not sure if this should go here or the x32 general discussion, so please redirect as necessary.

Our church uses an X32 with 4 Sennheiser wireless handheld mics (ew100 G3s) along with a Shure wireless Lapel mic, 3 digital keyboards and electronic drum kit (via and S16 digital snake). We also have a Mac connect to an AUX Input. We have 2 floor monitors and 2 main speaker and 2 subs connected to the S16.

Lately, we've been getting occasional popping noises coming from what appears to be one or more of the sennheiser mics. We've have the X32 for a few months now( Since January) but only over the past 3 weeks or so has the annoying popping sound started. Immediately muting all of the sennheiser mics causes the popping to cease. The noise only seems to occur after using the mics for a couple of hours -about 30 minutes of practice and warm-up, an hour break, then an hour of praise and worship. Is there anyway I can trouble shoot to find out if there is some issue with the X32, or find out which mics are causing the issues?

What I've tried so far: I've tried adjusting the frequencies of the wireless transmitters and receivers. The wireless mics also use energizer rechargeable batteries, so I've had those replaced with newer ones. Neither of those have reduced the occurrences of the popping noises.

Any help here is appreciated, me and my team are novices to running a sound/mixing board and troubleshooting these issues.

Thanks,
    Stephon Watson

You could still have issues with frequency interference even though you moved the channel frequencies. Are you running all your components through power filters? Have you tried moving the receivers up on the stage area? Since it seems fine when you're running rehearsal it could be interference from cellphones/wifi. Check the band on the Sennheisers and see if there are any common frequencies that it uses. Laws pertaining to band frequency have changed drastically over the last 10 years or so and there's been a lot of jumping around. Moving the receivers onto the platform could be your only option if you don't have high gain antennas on your receivers.
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

Fiona Hammond
    Hi Stephon,

Going to PM you right now.

Kind Regards,
    Fiona Hammond
    CARE EMEA
    MUSIC Group
    BEHRINGER
    Last edited by Fiona Hammond; 05-24-2013 at 07:08 AM.

Thank you Brian and Fiona! I will be trying out these helpful pointers.

Let us know how it goes! If your investigation doesn't turn up anything there may be something else we can find.
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton