You are here: Home » Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Feedback

Strange Feedback

Hello,
    This past weekend we used the X32 again at a different venue, I started off with the previous show
    that we saved. We did our sound check, everything ok minor tweaks.
    About the 10th song in I un muted the effects and I hear this building high pitch, at first I thought
    the drummers headset had been set by the wedge. I muted all the monitors, still there. I quickly muted the effects
    and it was gone. I am at a loss why it did this as it was setup from our previous job, not a problem all night.
    I ran 4 effects 1 - plate verb for drums 2 - stereo delay vocals 3 - plate for the vocals and 4 - chorus for the lead vocal.
    I wasn't hitting any of them hard. Anyone have this happen?

Thanks
    Jim

Jaffrey, New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Yes this happened once to me, Jim.
    Had to keep muting the effects. At the time I was using an outboard effect and I thought that may have been the problem but I don't think that was the case.
    I checked every routing page thinking that I made a loop and couldn't find anything amiss ..... it hasn't happened from that one time.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

All I can come up with is the classic one of getting into sends on fader and accidentally sending a fx return back to its own aux. When doing fx to monitors, its easier to do than ya think.

I have the same problem with effects with my X32. I gave FX to my main singer (chorus and reverb, if I remember right) and it startet to create feedback... and quite badly, too. I'm not sure why this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Lewis View Post
    All I can come up with is the classic one of getting into sends on fader and accidentally sending a fx return back to its own aux. When doing fx to monitors, its easier to do than ya think.
    I checked the sends and returns and nothing being sent to each other. That was my first thought also,
    the weird thing was I used a saved scene from the previous show as a starting point. That show went flawlessly
    no feedback at all and I was running a lot louder.

Every room or stage will need to be tuned to suit. Feedback at the 2nd event will be caused by a change in rom acoustics. Adding an effect will create an overall gain increase. You need to select the eq section on the buss send to the problamatic effect and tune in out. All the reverb units have a low pass filter parameter which can also be used if the feedback is high frequency. Theres no problem with your routing

Quote Originally Posted by CRaig Wansbrough View Post
    Every room or stage will need to be tuned to suit. Feedback at the 2nd event will be caused by a change in rom acoustics. Adding an effect will create an overall gain increase. You need to select the eq section on the buss send to the problamatic effect and tune in out. All the reverb units have a low pass filter parameter which can also be used if the feedback is high frequency. Theres no problem with your routing

Hello Craig
    I did adjust for the room with a lengthy soundcheck I rung the monitors and tweaked the FOH. I only used the previous show as a starting point. I was well into the first set when this occurred,and I didn't really have it wet

Ok Update on the strange feedback. My friend who has the board was playing around with it at his shop
    and discovered he re produce the feedback, by adjusting the buss inputs past "0".
    I find this very weird as the sends on faders inputs were low.

fx in the monitors is a delicate balancing act. i'd suggest you don't do it. it always reduces your ability to provide louder and/or clearer voices through wedges or side-fills on stage. now, that being said, double-check that you are not providing any looped effect back into itself (or into another effect input). with the wide and flexible routing ability of this desk you can come up with lots of ways to send a signal wet with a 'verb back into its own input. even just a little bit of this could cause what you're hearing.

every stage/room/environment changes while you work. humidity, temperature, barometric pressure, room shape/dimensions, if the singer is wearing a damned cowboy/baseball hat, the singer cups the mic, the singer leans in toward the other players mic or wedge, the list goes on.. and on... ALL of these and more have set off feedback/squeals during performances through the years.
    -good luck!
    Last edited by tom woods; 06-06-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: more to say

Tom,
    I don't run F/X in the monitors,this was all at FOH. It only happened by simply bringing up the F/X master input above 0
    Even with the inputs from the channels being low

Quote Originally Posted by tom woods View Post
    fx in the monitors is a delicate balancing act. i'd suggest you don't do it. it always reduces your ability to provide louder and/or clearer voices through wedges or side-fills on stage. now, that being said, double-check that you are not providing any looped effect back into itself (or into another effect input). with the wide and flexible routing ability of this desk you can come up with lots of ways to send a signal wet with a 'verb back into its own input. even just a little bit of this could cause what you're hearing.

every stage/room/environment changes while you work. humidity, temperature, barometric pressure, room shape/dimensions, if the singer is wearing a damned cowboy/baseball hat, the singer cups the mic, the singer leans in toward the other players mic or wedge, the list goes on.. and on... ALL of these and more have set off feedback/squeals during performances through the years.
    -good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast