You are here: Home » Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Linking and paning.

Question about Linking and paning.

TRACK PAN LINK
    1: Kick L -c- *
    2: Kick R -c- *
    3: Trigger L -c- *
    4: Trigger R -c- *
    5: Snare -c-
    6: TT 1 -L-
    7: TT 2 -c-
    8: TT 3 -r-
    9: OH L -r- *
    10: OH R -L- *

my conf.jpg

Track 1-2 Linked
    Track 3-4 Linked
    Track 9-10 Linked

Eksplenation: -c- = Center pan, -l- = Left pan, -r- = right pan

These tracks are routed to BUS 1-2 (Linked) output to IE-stereo. Paning here are hard L/R
    The reason for Linking 1-2, 3-4 and 9-10 is to make it easier to EQ, comp... etc.

I clik Select on Bus 1-2 (linked) - Sends on Fader.
    When I then rise the volume on track 1-2 (linked) the kicks are paned Left and right. They should be center (as you can see on the PAN row)
    I need to to Unlik BUS 1-2 and then have to set the volume for each bus. This makes it a bit hard to mix.
    Am I doing something wrong? Can I pan tracks when Send on Faders are active?
    I have initiated the console and started over with the same result.

Hi Ragnar,

I had to play with your scenario a bit using the XControl app, since I don't have the X32 in front of me (at work). As far as I can see, no you can't adjust the pans on a linked pair when Sends on Faders. But there is a work-around (at least on the XControl.

Choose Channel 1 (no Sends on Faders), then goto the Home, Sends page. Just below the fader and just above the Mute on the first sends (mixbus 1) is the pan control to the sends (mixbuses). By default it will be hard left for mixbus 1. This can be adjusted using one of the knobs (with XControl, you drag the orange bar with the mouse). The same with Channel 2, but the pan will be hard right for mixbus 2.

Hope that helps.

Paul

By the way, those mutes on that Sends page are not channel mutes, I discovered. In other words if you mute one of those, they don't apply the mute to that channel, but mutes the signal that goes to that send. In other words it is an input mute. All mutes I've ever come across are output mutes. But these ones are input mutes to the sends (mixbuses). This confused me until I had a look at the block diagram in the X32 manual. Come to find out, these mutes are separate from the channel mutes.

What make it more confusing is when I choose a mixbus on the right fader section and use Sends on Faders. The channel mutes on the left fader section, are no longer the typical channel mutes, but these mute the input of that signal to the sends (mixbuses).

Paul

When linking two channels, go under HOME and mains tab, would it help setting the Mono on and rising the mono fader AND lowering L/R faders? I'm not at the console eighter.

That's a NO.
    Worked on the main headset out, but not on the bus.

Hi Ragnar,

I'm in front of the X32 at the church, and have figured it out. Simply choose the first channel in the pair (ch 1). with the Bus Sends section (top center of X32), make sure the top button (1-4) is selected. The top knob (1) is the volume of that channel to bus 1/2. The second knob is the pan - turn that until the indicator is at top. Do the same with the second channel in the pair (ch 2). That will make both of these channels in center.

By the way, the Sends on Faders has no effect with the panning in this linked channel/ linked buses.

Paul

Thanks Paul, but isn't this a "strange" and difficult way of doing it?
    I tried it on my Pc-app at home and understands how to pan on the channels when linked, but will have to try tomorrow at my studio/rehearsal.
    Maybe this is something Behringer could improve to make it more obviouse? Maybe a default/option in Config. that the channels should be panned the way they are setup on the channels themself?

Well, to be honest, it seems more strange the way you are setting it up IMHO. If you want the kick to be center in the stereo mixbus, why do you have a two linked channel configuration? Do you have two actual mics on the kick (such as a beater side mic and one on the inside or in the hole)?

If I was setting it up with a double kick mic setup, I would not link the two inputs, but leave them individual mono inputs, particularly in the setup I described. This is almost required, since you would have to reverse the phase on one of them. The EQ's on each of those mics would probably be quite different, due to the positioning and response of the kick drum, etc. Not that I'm saying what you are trying to accomplish is valid or not, it is not what I would consider a standard setup. To me, linking a pair of channels, should automatically set them up as left and right, since I would be sending a stereo signal to that pair.

Please understand I'm not knocking what you are trying to accomplish, because I don't know all the details and requirements. That is why I took the effort to figure it out. Because the X32 is so versatile, I really enjoy reading this forum for various setup scenarios and trying to figure out how to accomplish it. My motivation is that later down the road, I may run into a similar scenario and remember the solution.

Paul

I agree with paul, linking 2 kick mics is unusual to say the least. If you want common parameter adjustment, better off sending them to a group anf making adjustments there which still gives individual control at the channel for gates etc.

Thank you so much Paul for figuring this out.
    Just to explain the scenario more, I’m playing in a metal band and we typically use two physical kick drums.
    One mic in each kick with the kick-drums properly tuned, EQ, dyn etc. will make my life much easier.
    Having to hear the kicks panned L/R when playing is pretty confusing and irritating 
    Also I have two overheads in x/y linked and they should be panned L/R with the same eq, dyn settings.

The main reason for buying this mixer is that I can build a properly OK mix in our rehearsal space both for listening via IE, PA and for recording OK sounding ideas/pre-productions.
    My studio/rehearsal space isn’t that big and before this we had to setup the whole studio and go through all this to record. Now we can just play the song, record to Reaper or memory-stick.
    I do both. We can then extract the files and import them into Pro-tools in the studio for overdubs, adding solos or other ideas. I can send them to Germany to our vocalist who can add ideas or just use them to rehearse to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast