You are here: Home » Forum
BEHRINGER_Billboard-XD80USB
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Secondary Speaker Stack Time Delayed

Question Need Secondary Speaker Stack Time Delayed

I am doing a football stadium job next week that will have the main speakers and subs at the stage and they will come out of outputs 15 and 16 on the back panel. I need to put a secondary set of speakers about 130 feet in front of the main speakers.
    So I need to use an output with a time delay but I can't seem to get it to work.
    I have tried using the Main C fader and have tried routing it to MixBus output 12 but I can't get any output or response from the MixBus 12 fader.
    In the same way that the Main L and R are routed to outputs 15 and 16, is the Main C default routed to any of the outputs?
    I need to be able to control the levels and EQ of both speaker stacks from the iPad interface independently.
    I am embarassed that I can't seem to figure this out.
    Dan Haynes danhaynes42@hotmail.com
    X32, Two X32 Racks, dbx PA+, MacBook Pro, 2 iPad's (1 sound, 1 lights). Yorkville LS2100P, NX750P.

Hi Dan,

Don't be embarrassed. We are all learning how to configure this incredible versatile digital console. As I read the various posts here with the different questions and scenarios, I always refer to the XControl app, which I've added to most every computer that I touch (even the work one).

You want to send the same feed that is sent to the FOH, to a secondary set 130ft in front. In order to do that, you probably want to keep the stereo feed. The Main C fader is a mono summation of the Main L/R and is usually used to feed subs or center speakers. It is better to feed secondary FOH via a linked set of matrixes. Mixbuses are a mix of channel feeds. Matrixes are mixes of mixbus feeds. The Main (FOH) is a mixbus.

First you need to send the Main L/R to a linked matrix pair. To do that first select the first matrix and goto the Home screen. On the left you will see a Link button. Push that to make the matrix pair (eg. matrix 1 and 2). Then select the Main L/R and goto the Home screen and the Sends tab. You will notice the two matrixes that you have linked. adjust the level near the 0db. and make them Post-fader. This will send the signals coming to the Main L/R through the matrixes faders.

Goto the Routing screen and Analog Out tab. If you want the secondary speakers to be fed by, say outputs 13 and 14, choose the Output 13 and assign it Matrix 1 (or whatever matrix you chose to receive the Main L signal), Post fader, and set the delay to 130ft. Do the same with the Output 14 with Matrix 2, Post fader, and set the same delay.

Now as you adjust the level of the Main L/R, it will also adjust the secondary speaker feeds. But you also have control of those secondaries with the matrix faders.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Oh I forgot to mention that I'm not sure how to do all this with the iPad, since I don't have one. I've seen it in action with the X32. But Santa hasn't come yet with one.

Paul

One other thing, now that you control the secondaries using the matrixes, if you go to the Home screen of these matrixes, you will notice the 6 band parametric EQ, as well as compressor, and gate available for these outputs.

Paul

Paul,
    Everything you said was spot on. I had it working in less than 5 minutes. Thank you so much for the help.
    You being Canadian you would appreciate that my PA is Yorkville.

Thank you again. I hope I can return the favor sometime.

Dan
    Dan Haynes danhaynes42@hotmail.com
    X32, Two X32 Racks, dbx PA+, MacBook Pro, 2 iPad's (1 sound, 1 lights). Yorkville LS2100P, NX750P.

Another way to accomplish this is to just assign the L/R to a second set of outputs. (13-14). You can still accomplish the delay settings you need to without tying up a matrix or 2 if you need them for press feeds or recording. Not trying to confuse, just add another way to accomplish your desired result.

Hi Todd,

That method doesn't provide Dan with the independent control of volume and EQ that he mentioned (2nd last paragraph of original post).

Paul

Very helpful !

Very helpful tanks !
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Vannatto View Post
    Hi Dan,

Don't be embarrassed. We are all learning how to configure this incredible versatile digital console. As I read the various posts here with the different questions and scenarios, I always refer to the XControl app, which I've added to most every computer that I touch (even the work one).

You want to send the same feed that is sent to the FOH, to a secondary set 130ft in front. In order to do that, you probably want to keep the stereo feed. The Main C fader is a mono summation of the Main L/R and is usually used to feed subs or center speakers. It is better to feed secondary FOH via a linked set of matrixes. Mixbuses are a mix of channel feeds. Matrixes are mixes of mixbus feeds. The Main (FOH) is a mixbus.

First you need to send the Main L/R to a linked matrix pair. To do that first select the first matrix and goto the Home screen. On the left you will see a Link button. Push that to make the matrix pair (eg. matrix 1 and 2). Then select the Main L/R and goto the Home screen and the Sends tab. You will notice the two matrixes that you have linked. adjust the level near the 0db. and make them Post-fader. This will send the signals coming to the Main L/R through the matrixes faders.

Goto the Routing screen and Analog Out tab. If you want the secondary speakers to be fed by, say outputs 13 and 14, choose the Output 13 and assign it Matrix 1 (or whatever matrix you chose to receive the Main L signal), Post fader, and set the delay to 130ft. Do the same with the Output 14 with Matrix 2, Post fader, and set the same delay.

Now as you adjust the level of the Main L/R, it will also adjust the secondary speaker feeds. But you also have control of those secondaries with the matrix faders.

Hope that helps.

Paul

You are most welcome Francesco, and welcome to the forum.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast