You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: osc port

osc port

It is so hard to search for osc posts because the word "osc" is too short for the search engine.

I'm having problem using the osc protocol with the X32:

I can send commands seccesfully and the x32 is responding but i cannot manage to receive feedback from it.

i do not know which port should i use to see the responses.

i'm using touch osc and i also tried port scanner to send commands but i didnt get anything back.

Can someone help me with that?

Thanks

I'm not sure that I understand you.

You get responce but not feedback - What does that mean?

Not all osc-commands return a status message. You have to request it manualy if you want to verify the result.

The x32 returns messages on the same port number as you use to connect to the x32.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Lofgren View Post
    I'm not sure that I understand you.

You get responce but not feedback - What does that mean?

Not all osc-commands return a status message. You have to request it manualy if you want to verify the result.

The x32 returns messages on the same port number as you use to connect to the x32.
    Thank you rebert,
    When i say response i mean that when i send command to a fader to move it moves so the x32 is responding to my commands,
    What i need is also the other way around, so when i will move the x32 fader i will receive that message.

Basically i'm using "touchosc" and i'm puthing some faders and butons there and beside the fact that i want the ipad to move fader and press buttons i want it to show the current x32 state.
    so when i will move that fader on the x32 it will also move on my ipad.

p.s. i think touchosc doesn't allow the same port for transmitting and receiving.

Super User
    Hi JoZee,

Welcome to the forum. Kevin Hunter has been developing apps, etc. for the X32 using the OSC protocol. He has posted some items here, but also has his own site dedicated to this topic. Maybe he can help.
    http://www.x32user.net/phpbb2/

Paul

after some reading and port sniffing i guess that what i wanna do cannot be done because the x32 can receive data but it doesn't send any data when operating it.
    meaning, what you move a fader on the x32 it doesn't send data like in midi.
    am i wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by JoZee levy View Post
    after some reading and port sniffing i guess that what i wanna do cannot be done because the x32 can receive data but it doesn't send any data when operating it.
    meaning, what you move a fader on the x32 it doesn't send data like in midi.
    am i wrong?
    There are two types of OSC commands that you can send to the X32, the first is an action command such as the one you have already used eg /ch/01/mix/fader/xx where xx is your fader position. This makes the mixer move the fader but you will not receive any messages back from the desk.

The second type is an information request command such as /info or even /ch/01/mix/fader which will display the fader position.

The difficulty is that the value you send on an action request is different from the value you receive from an information request ! Not the way I would have programmed it but there must be a reason. Check out www.x32user.net for more details.

Robert is also correct in saying that the x32 will send messages back to the port it received them from eg if your pc is port 10000 and the x32 is port 20000 then your pc will send a message from port 10000 to port 20000 and the x32 will send a message back from port 20000 to port 10000.

If you look at the site you will also see a quick touch osc template I created on the iPhone for the x32.

Hope this helps
    Kev

Thank you rebert,
    When i say response i mean that when i send command to a fader to move it moves so the x32 is responding to my commands,
    What i need is also the other way around, so when i will move the x32 fader i will receive that message.

Basically i'm using "touchosc" and i'm puthing some faders and butons there and beside the fact that i want the ipad to move fader and press buttons i want it to show the current x32 state.
    so when i will move that fader on the x32 it will also move on my ipad.
    The osc-server doesn't send updates of the physical controls by default. You need to subscribe for this. The subscription lasts for ten seconds so you need to re-subscribe within those ten seconds so you don't miss any events.

Check out the osc docs for more info about this.

Good luck!

Sorry but you are missing my point,
    I know how to create touchosc template that moves the x32 fader and everything but the point is that i need my ipad/iphone to update when i move the real faders on the x32 so i can see on my iphone/ipad the current position of the faders/mute buttons etc.

the touchosc templates on www.x32user.net are only controlling in one way.

The osc-server doesn't send updates of the physical controls by default. You need to subscribe for this. The subscription lasts for ten seconds so you need to re-subscribe within those ten seconds so you don't miss any events.
    is it possible to do this with touchosc or woth lemur which is more advanced?

Check out the osc docs for more info about this.
    What docs exactly? the only doc i know is the "OSC Remote Protocol 1.01" pdf which say nothing about subscribing.
    are there more docs?

Thanks

What docs exactly? the only doc i know is the "OSC Remote Protocol 1.01" pdf which say nothing about subscribing.
    are there more docs?
    That's the one.

Check out page one and pay special attention to '/xcontrol' in the client messages section.

Hello,
    I have an issue with sending OSC string messages via UDP Socket to my X32. I'm trying to set some parametes on the console from my Windows Phone (7.8). As Windows Phone doesn't accept dll Libaries that aren't compiled for .NET Compact Framework, I cannot use Libaries like Bespoke etc. So I set up an UDP-Socket and send it to my console (IP from console, Port 10023 and the string message "/ch/01/mix/fader/0.5"). But my console responds with an error message:"OSC_ERROR: unterminated adress pattern". So I tried the following string message: "/ch/01/mix/fader/0.5\0\0\0\0", but to this message the console didn't respond in anyway (no fader is moving and no error message).
    What am I doing wrong? I've taken a look at this string examples, but I'm still confused about the composition of a complete string message.
    Can anyone post me an example that moves the fader of channel 01 to position 0.5? Or can anyone suggest a website that may help me? I'm sorry about such a silly question.
    Thanks!