You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: Show Stopping Desk Crashes!!!!

Angry Show Stopping Desk Crashes!!!!

There are 2 X32 consoles in use down in Christchurch, NZ now. They are a great desk BUT.......

Used one of them twice now (old firmware) and had one partial (and self recovered) lockup and a screen failure. First time GEQ on faders would not disappear no matter what I did. I put this down to user error as it was the first time I had used it in a show. 2nd time, I had a reverb unit in the display then hit a channel select button. The white backing box for the effects unit stayed on screen so couldn't see what was going on. Pressed home then the screen went all garbled and pixelated. Sound was still passing, essentially the console still working, just couldn't see what I was doing. It came right after a few minutes by itself.

Different console, new firmware - had sceen view screen up, pressed USB view - noticed both view lights were then on. Pressed USB play and the console locked up solid - no buttons or encoders working at all. Didn't have audio going at the time so don't know if it was still passing sound or not. After about one minute - it just shut itself down - would have been a real showstopper!! Switched power off then back on and it rebooted OK and haven't been able to replicate fault.

The scene being used (both times) is probably at the extent of what it can do - ie all groups, DCAs, mix busses being used. 4 stereo effects running, 8 ch of 31 band graphics, matrix mix used to do 2 channel record to USB - each time I've had a problem, its when you try to get it to do just one more thing.

Another user with another console in another town has had the same lockup when trying to record to USB.

We can't get it to recognise any files to playback off USB even WAV files of same sampling rate. Will only recognise files recorded off the console.

Is there any way to label the user assign keys / encoders? Would be nice to label say "monitor 1 EQ" instead of just FX5 etc. Its the only thing that can't be label in the new scribble script page.

Interested to hear some feedback? A bit scared to use it in a show at the moment!!

Craig

Dear Craig,

A few questions about you console crashes:

1 - Power UPS - Was the X32 on a uninterrupted power supply - UPS? We ALWAYS recommend that you use a UPS. If you power sags below 80 volts for more than 20MS, the console shuts down, then reboot when power is above 80 volts. A power sag can happen without you even realizing it. A UPS will rule this out.

2 - USB Stick Media - Did you test you USB stick prior to the show? Many USB sticks can have issues and might be in the wrong format. The stick must be FAT-formatted, (FAT12, FAT16, FAT32). We recommend that you test your stick prior to a mission critical show. Please also note that it is possible that the specifications of USB storage devices may be changed by the manufacturer without any change in physical appearance or notification. So it is key to test any USB stick you use at a show prior to using it in a live environment.

This is not an X32 issue it is due to the USB stick media.

I will forward you request for labeling on the Assign Section on to our developers.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Joe Sanborn
    Manager, Product Support
    MUSIC Group
    BEHRINGER

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Sanborn View Post
    Dear Craig,

1 - Power UPS - Was the X32 on a uninterrupted power supply - UPS? We ALWAYS recommend that you use a UPS. If you power sags below 80 volts for more than 20MS, the console shuts down, then reboot when power is above 80 volts. A power sag can happen without you even realizing it. A UPS will rule this out.

2 - USB Stick Media - Did you test you USB stick prior to the show? Many USB sticks can have issues and might be in the wrong format. The stick must be FAT-formatted, (FAT12, FAT16, FAT32). We recommend that you test your stick prior to a mission critical show. Please also note that it is possible that the specifications of USB storage devices may be changed by the manufacturer without any change in physical appearance or notification. So it is key to test any USB stick you use at a show prior to using it in a live environment.

I will forward you request for labeling on the Assign Section on to our developers.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Joe Sanborn
    Manager, Product Support
    MUSIC Group
    BEHRINGER

Yes we are running a UPS on it - always do on all digital consoles.

The USB stick is not only FAT formatted, but we have been using it many times successfully over the time the system was being installed, all the scenes / shows saved on it and successfully did a 3.5 hour record on the first live show we did on it and it plays back fine and had no issues at all. Just confirming, all on the same stick so it is not a stick issue. I used the same stick last night to load the same scene I used last time and again recorded the show to USB with no issues. There is more to this than a stick issue....... I really want to get to the bottom of this as I love the desk, love the sound and find it really quick and easy to use once you have some good show templates saved - just need to sort these crashing issues.

Dear Craig,

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Joe Sanborn
    Manager, Product Support
    MUSIC Group
    BEHRINGER
    Thought I might add, last year the Presonus 24:4:2 Studiolive desks started popping up here and they had major crashing issues where they stop recognising any analogue inputs. The UPS added made this a whole lot better but didn't actually solve the problem. About 3 firmware updates down the track, it was found the desk became particularly unstable if you had a plate reverb on FX1 and a mono delay on FX2!! (which is what I was using). If I ever come across one of these now without the latest firmware, I use a stereo delay for FX2 and have no problems - go back to a mono delay, they can crash within minutes. Rebooting the desk doesn't help, it can only be fixed on the fly by changing the sampling rate of the desk down one level then back up at which point it instantly comes back to life - yup, really!!

While I hate to compare your product (which I obviously much prefer) to the Presonus, maybe there is something in the scene template that I use that is triggering some yet-to-be-discovered conflict?? Im happy to email the scene file if you think that may be of use?? I see there is another video on Youtube of someone else showing the same lockup problem. Maybe you could make contact there and see if there is something similar between my scene and what he was doing??

Dear Craig,

I will send you a PM.
    Possible you can send me your scene file and we can have a look on another console.

Best Regards,
    Joe Sanborn
    Manager, Product Support
    MUSIC Group
    BEHRINGER

Yesterday, my X32 crash. I worked with a common scene, which almost always come out with live bands. I recorded onto a USB stick, which always loading is tested. Once crash, the X32 display not give any information about full stick, and the console crash. Meters froze and control too. The sound continue. Please, as I wrote in another thread (Feature request), will be good, if in USB player will be times (recorded time, elapsed time), and capacity informations the same as times, instead of casette tape, which is useless. I can not delete the bad tracks, only by PC.

I see people had been reporting this crashing issue when accessing USB as far back as October 2012 (see Soundforums, answered by Joe) and videos on Youtube about it and it still can't be resolved...... In the meantime, I'll think Ill be leaving the USB port empty during shows!!! Seems to work fine that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiř Jirutka View Post
    Yesterday, my X32 crash. I worked with a common scene, which almost always come out with live bands. I recorded onto a USB stick, which always loading is tested. Once crash, the X32 display not give any information about full stick, and the console crash. Meters froze and control too. The sound continue. Please, as I wrote in another thread (Feature request), will be good, if in USB player will be times (recorded time, elapsed time), and capacity informations the same as times, instead of casette tape, which is useless. I can not delete the bad tracks, only by PC.
    Not any answer for this problem?

Fiona Hammond
    Hi Jiri,

Sorry to hear this. Could you please PM me, providing me with your USB stick specs?

Kind Regards,
    Fiona Hammond
    CARE EMEA
    MUSIC Group
    BEHRINGER

Dear Craig,

I will send you a PM.
    Possible you can send me your scene file and we can have a look on another console.

Best Regards,
    Joe Sanborn
    Manager, Product Support
    MUSIC Group
    BEHRINGER
    I have managed to replicate the fault - with a USB pen in, no audio input at all, no inputs connected, recorded then pushed stop on the USB recorder, selected scene view button, then pushed USB view button - first thing I noticed was both scene and USB red view lights were on at the same time although screen changed to USB view. All locked up solid - no response from any button or encoder on the desk - after about 30 seconds, desk just shut down altogether. I had the same scene loaded that I emailed you which has been working fine with no issues at all with no USB stick in the port during shows. I tried a few more times to replicate the fault to confirm but hasn't done it again since. Hope this helps.....