You are here: Home » Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X32 Distro?

Lightbulb X32 Distro?

I've been thinking about doing a fedora remix with a rt kernel from Plannet CCRMA specifically for use with the X32.

Basically you would be able to put it on a usb or cd and install it to your computer or run it (wouldn't recommend running off a cd) and have the Linux XControl already installed and it preconfigured to do multi-track recording in Ardour (or some other DAW) so all the hard work of "getting it working in Linux" is already done.

Basically just give people a free way to get the most out of their X32. Is anyone interested in that? I'm going away for the weekend but let me know if there is and I'll get working on one.
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

Anything that is for a dedicated system and more stable, I'm for.

Hey Brian,

Thanks for offering this. I'm interested.

Paul

I am also Interested in that! I have a Monitor with a Build in Thin Client. But i did Not get the x32 Remote App. Running on an Linux started from an USB.

Jaffrey, New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Can't wait!
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

I'll need to re-read the license agreement to make sure I can package it. If I can't then I'll need permission from Behringer, or have to write a script that does it after.

Anyone have any preferences as a Desktop Enviormonment? GNOME? KDE? LXDE?
    "A mind stretched by an idea can never return to it's original dimensions." -Isaac Newton

I'm all for this, I prefer XFCE for the DE as it's fast and does all I could want. It's been ages since I used Gnome or KDE, but my feeling is that they are bloated. LXDE is OK, but I don't really like the pseudo Windows interface.

Openbox is great too, but maybe a bit much work for many.

One small addition, I'd like to ask that you add a media player for background music, I have no great preference here, VLC is fine for me, but anything that is easy to use, and reliable is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Phillips View Post
    I'm all for this, I prefer XFCE for the DE as it's fast and does all I could want. It's been ages since I used Gnome or KDE, but my feeling is that they are bloated. LXDE is OK, but I don't really like the pseudo Windows interface.

Openbox is great too, but maybe a bit much work for many.

One small addition, I'd like to ask that you add a media player for background music, I have no great preference here, VLC is fine for me, but anything that is easy to use, and reliable is fine.
    I hate to say this, since I don't really like it, but GOME 3 is pretty lightweight and shiny considering. I tend to like a lot of customization so I stick with KDE, but I was surprised at how fast it was and now that they fixed the shutdown button, I have to admit it's a lot more useable.

I'm pretty sure the only reason VLC isn't in the Fedora repos is because of the mp3 issue, which means it'll be fine. (a hard point of contention, I know) You of course will still have access to the other repositories, so you could download whatever else you'd like. But that brings up a good point, I wonder if I can add the RPM fusion repos automatically... hmmmm. But I thought a single DAW that's set up to record specifically with the X32, and all the JACK settings with a realtime kernel might be nice to have.

Hi Brian,

This X32 distro you are offering is becoming more appealing by the hour. I decided to follow your instructions in that other thread how to get the XControl working - and failed miserably. At first I tried using with the AVLinx that I had installed, then downloaded Fedora and tried that - still no go. Then I loaded a couple other linux flavors and realized I had forgot to install wine when I tried it in fedora. So back I went to fedora with wine installed. I get to step 8 "exit root session and run program" and get "Illegal instruction (core dumped)". I've also spent hours trying to figure out how to mount a drive from my NAS. I'm relatively new to the linux world, but not to the computer world (been working with them since the early 70's). It is not a reflection on your excellent instructions, but rather my time and patience is running out. I think I'll step back and wait for your X32 distro.

Paul

Well If we don't hear from one of the mods soon about getting permission, I'll try to email or pm them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast