You are here: Home » Forum
BEHRINGER_Billboard-XD80USB
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: X32 and WiFi security

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Padrick View Post
    I've read that the security protocols make the connection more finicky, and as such the best approach is to just disable the SSID broadcast.
    That raises the security bar somewhat, but it's not enough. It's relatively easy to find the SSID of an active network that isn't broadcasting the SSID. Look for a program called AirShark (which is also available for iPads).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bolt View Post
    This is quite simple IMHO.
    It's all quite simple, if you know you need to do it. Most people aren't used to thinking in terms of security, and I'll bet you a beer that most X32 users are not finding their way to this forum where they can see this discussion. In the absence of security built into the X32 software, the users need to be informed so they know they need to protect themselves, and providing some best practices would be helpful. Behringer is in the best position to do this.

This is quite simple IMHO.

The first thing to do is setup your wireless router to use WPA2. At this point, anyone at the gig will be able to SEE your wireless network, but will not be able to connect to it without your password.

If you are really paranoid about people being able to see your connection (IMHO someone would really have to want to screw your gig up badly in order to break the WPA2 encription and log-in), you can always make your router invisible. This is also a simple setting called "discoverable". This makes it harder for you to hook up devices yourself though, and I don't usually want to hassle with it myself.

Finally, you can restrict access to your router by MAC address which limits the devices that can connect only to the ones you specify.

My personal opinion is that you only need WPA2.
    I think Scott pretty much nailed it. By creating a network that is effectively "hidden", limiting the number of devices that can connect to the network, and using a difficult alphanumeric password, should be more than adequate keeping out unwanted users. Unless they're government spies.
    Kind regards,

Chase McKnight
    Jr. Admin, Care
    MUSIC Group

Jaffrey, New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase McKnight View Post
    Unless they're government spies.
    Bond ..... James Bond.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

Quote Originally Posted by Chase McKnight View Post
    I think Scott pretty much nailed it. By creating a network that is effectively "hidden", limiting the number of devices that can connect to the network, and using a difficult alphanumeric password, should be more than adequate keeping out unwanted users.
    And I'm not arguing otherwise. My point is that, if there's no security in the X32 product itself, users need to be informed they need to take security steps on their own. Sound guys are typically not network engineers. They see the option to control their board remotely and they think, "Oh, nice!" They don't typically think, "Oh, what happens if somebody decides to remotely mess with my rig?" It's an unfortunate side effect of working network security to discover that there is no shortage of people in the world who will gladly screw with anything they can get to, just for the lulz.

I hope that Behringer tech support is reading this, and realizing that if they are unable to add security to the X32 - iPad link, they should at least make sure the users realize it's unsecured and recommend some security steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Reed View Post
    I hope that Behringer tech support is reading this, and realizing that if they are unable to add security to the X32 - iPad link, they should at least make sure the users realize it's unsecured and recommend some security steps.
    That's like asking Ford/VW/etc to take responsibility for the roads their cars are driven on.
    The desk can be connected to a network, but that network is the responsibility of the person who set it up and with the equipment they set it up with. The X32 has no wireless capability out of the box. You need to add hardware to it to do that.

Securing the network at the router should be sufficient.
    Hiding the SSID should be sufficient.
    Using WAP2 should be sufficient.
    Using a MAC Access Control List on the router should be sufficient.

If someone is that determined to wreck the show, they'll do it, regardless of how you've secured your network.
    In fact, your average punter won't need wireless access to the desk to kill it. Just give them a hammer/chair/blunt object and watch how they bring your show to a halt in seconds.

That said, with everything being software driven, and running over IP anyway, maybe something could be put into the desk so that it only responds to commands from specified MAC addresses. If you set the device pairing/allowed devices in the desk, that should lock it down completely.

You would have to be up against a very serious hacker for them to be able to
    1) work out the SSID of your network
    2) get around the WAP2 encryption
    3) identify the MAC address of your iPad
    4) spoof it on another device
    5) connect to your network

If that ever happens, you at least have the option of pulling the network cable and working from the surface, but not before the hacker has had a bit of fun muting things, etc.

Stu.

While you guys are having this hypothetical discussion, someone just broke into your storage and stole all your X32s.

Jaffrey, New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Bowyer View Post
    While you guys are having this hypothetical discussion, someone just broke into your storage and stole all your X32s.
    Dang !
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

I understand that not everyone knows how to setup a wireless network the way we (most of us) know how to tie our shoes. I would argue that if you want to use the tool, you should read up a bit on it. It isn't a technology that is going away in live sound any time soon.

Also, Behringer can't put anything into the mixer because doing so would lock them into a specific wireless technology ..... which like the products I develop, they have no desire to do.

By limiting themselves ONLY to a basic wired ethernet jack, they are automatically able to handle future wireless upgrades as they come along. So far we have had the following list of wireless specifications:

1. 802.11a
    2. 802.11b
    3. 802.11g
    4. 802.11g plus or super g
    5. 802.11 - 2007
    6. 802.11n
    7. 802.11 - 2012
    8. 802.11ac
    9. 802.11ad

As you can see, what ever standard you can buy in a wireless router today, will soon be obsolete. While we expect our mixers to last >10 years, I can guarantee you will NEVER find a wireless specification that lasts that long

The way the X32 is setup now, if you want to take advantage of a better wireless technology when it comes along, all you have to do is replace your router (these are cheep and run between $60-$200).

Finally, the idea that anyone with the know how and equipment to hack a WPA2 connection would waste their valuable time and effort ruining someones show who was using an X32 is really silly. It isn't fast or easy to do, and anyone that could do it wouldn't be interested in it.

On an entirely different angle, if at all possible you should use 5Ghz wireless routers to avoid the cluttered 2.4Ghz range which every kid with a cell phone will be pounding as well as every local wireless network near by. This is also a setting inside your router. The 5Ghz frequency will be much less likely to be bogged down, but has less range than the 2.4Ghz frequency. YMMV. The iPad 2 and 3 have this I believe, but the iPod touch may not.

Also, Behringer can't put anything into the mixer because doing so would lock them into a specific wireless technology ..... which like the products I develop, they have no desire to do.
    Not even a password shared between the X32 and the remote?

On an entirely different angle, if at all possible you should use 5Ghz wireless routers to avoid the cluttered 2.4Ghz range which every kid with a cell phone will be pounding as well as every local wireless network near by.
    Good point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12