I have been really keen to move to an X32 since I first saw one. Now the family has grown, and I can see that I would like the X32, the Compact and the Rack (maybe iX16 too).
There is no way I can afford more than one, and I am struggling to decide what to do. Maybe you guys can comment about this, and help me decide the way forward.
- I generally use 9 mics ins and 6 line ins. Some spare mic ins would be good, and would be used if available.
- Some venues have no real space for the engineer, so space can be an issue.
- I generally do my own load in/out, so portability & weight is a consideration.
- I do not use a multicore, and generally mix from the side of the stage with headphones. I would like to get in the audience to do my work better (iPad maybe, or S16's as funds allow)
- Cost is an issue, I run this on a shoestring budget. Even the X32 Rack is a huge expenditure for me.
- I am comfortable with faders & knobs. Mixing with an iPad or similar is a little worrying for me, not that I would rule it out, but I am concerned that the Rack will prove to be a little awkward or "unnatural" for me.
- Flexibility: The standard X32 will cover everything I can imagine for the future, the 32 mic ins, and the 16 channel faders seem great to me, if I go with a Compact or Rack I loose some good stuff. But save some cash, and get better portability.
So the Compact looks good, but maybe is a little hampered by the 16 mic ins, and the 8 channel faders. The rack looks brilliant for cost & portability, but I don't know if I can really live with iPad mixing. The full X32 is more cash, and bigger, I think the size will be a problem at times, and it's more difficult to move.
p.s. The Producer has been ignored, as my eyes are poor, and the smaller screen will be an issue for me, also I don't like that the Scribble Strips have gone. The Core is no good for me, because I want the Aux ins/outs.