You are here: Home » Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Decisions, decisions. Which X32 to buy?

Decisions, decisions. Which X32 to buy?

I have been really keen to move to an X32 since I first saw one. Now the family has grown, and I can see that I would like the X32, the Compact and the Rack (maybe iX16 too).

There is no way I can afford more than one, and I am struggling to decide what to do. Maybe you guys can comment about this, and help me decide the way forward.

• I generally use 9 mics ins and 6 line ins. Some spare mic ins would be good, and would be used if available.
    • Some venues have no real space for the engineer, so space can be an issue.
    • I generally do my own load in/out, so portability & weight is a consideration.
    • I do not use a multicore, and generally mix from the side of the stage with headphones. I would like to get in the audience to do my work better (iPad maybe, or S16's as funds allow)
    • Cost is an issue, I run this on a shoestring budget. Even the X32 Rack is a huge expenditure for me.
    • I am comfortable with faders & knobs. Mixing with an iPad or similar is a little worrying for me, not that I would rule it out, but I am concerned that the Rack will prove to be a little awkward or "unnatural" for me.
    • Flexibility: The standard X32 will cover everything I can imagine for the future, the 32 mic ins, and the 16 channel faders seem great to me, if I go with a Compact or Rack I loose some good stuff. But save some cash, and get better portability.

So the Compact looks good, but maybe is a little hampered by the 16 mic ins, and the 8 channel faders. The rack looks brilliant for cost & portability, but I don't know if I can really live with iPad mixing. The full X32 is more cash, and bigger, I think the size will be a problem at times, and it's more difficult to move.

Any thoughts/comments?

p.s. The Producer has been ignored, as my eyes are poor, and the smaller screen will be an issue for me, also I don't like that the Scribble Strips have gone. The Core is no good for me, because I want the Aux ins/outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Phillips View Post
    I have been really keen to move to an X32 since I first saw one. Now the family has grown, and I can see that I would like the X32, the Compact and the Rack (maybe iX16 too).

There is no way I can afford more than one, and I am struggling to decide what to do. Maybe you guys can comment about this, and help me decide the way forward.

• I generally use 9 mics ins and 6 line ins. Some spare mic ins would be good, and would be used if available.
    • Some venues have no real space for the engineer, so space can be an issue.
    • I generally do my own load in/out, so portability & weight is a consideration.
    • I do not use a multicore, and generally mix from the side of the stage with headphones. I would like to get in the audience to do my work better (iPad maybe, or S16's as funds allow)
    • Cost is an issue, I run this on a shoestring budget. Even the X32 Rack is a huge expenditure for me.
    • I am comfortable with faders & knobs. Mixing with an iPad or similar is a little worrying for me, not that I would rule it out, but I am concerned that the Rack will prove to be a little awkward or "unnatural" for me.
    • Flexibility: The standard X32 will cover everything I can imagine for the future, the 32 mic ins, and the 16 channel faders seem great to me, if I go with a Compact or Rack I loose some good stuff. But save some cash, and get better portability.

So the Compact looks good, but maybe is a little hampered by the 16 mic ins, and the 8 channel faders. The rack looks brilliant for cost & portability, but I don't know if I can really live with iPad mixing. The full X32 is more cash, and bigger, I think the size will be a problem at times, and it's more difficult to move.

Any thoughts/comments?

p.s. The Producer has been ignored, as my eyes are poor, and the smaller screen will be an issue for me, also I don't like that the Scribble Strips have gone. The Core is no good for me, because I want the Aux ins/outs.
    Hi Neil,

Before I answer, I have a few questions:

1. Do you run the sound for a band, or are you setting up and running your own band while you play from stage?
    2. If you run sound, do you run sound for more than one band, or just a single band?
    3. What is going into the line-in's specifically?

Jaffrey, New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    [*]I generally use 9 mics ins and 6 line ins. Some spare mic ins would be good, and would be used if available.
    You have answered your own question, Neil.

My recommendation to you ..... X32
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bolt View Post
    Hi Neil,

Before I answer, I have a few questions:

1. Do you run the sound for a band, or are you setting up and running your own band while you play from stage?
    2. If you run sound, do you run sound for more than one band, or just a single band?
    3. What is going into the line-in's specifically?
    I run the sound for the band. Most of my work is just one band, but I want to get more work, and more clients. The line-ins are 2 x Keyboards (in stereo), and a CD player (that i may be able to retire, but need to see how well the on-board USB playback works for me.

I have just learnt that I have a gig coming up that needs 26 channels, so if I go with a Compact or Rack, I will have to add an S16.

Doesn't really change much, at least as far as deciding which version to buy, but I think I am leaning towards the "full" X32, and the small venues will have to find a way of fitting me in (or hire someone else)

Super User
    Hi Neil,

I think I'm in a similar situation that you describe. So I'll layout my thinking process and the decision I came up with.

At the beginning of December 2012, I installed the X32 with 4 P16-M and a P16-D, and fell in love with this product. Six months previous, I was a diehard analog cronie.

Not only do I help with the media ministry at our church, I also do 40-50 events per year on my own. These events vary from classic rock groups, motown groups, drama, church in the park, country jamborees, weddings and receptions, business events, etc. Requirements range from a couple of mics and CD player to 24 channels of mics and instruments. Space for myself and equipment is always an issue and console location is always a compromise, due to venue layout and where I can run my various snakes. Available funds for equipment is always a consideration, due to the fact that I decided never to charge for my services, but accept donations. So far everything is paid for. But I have to scrutinize what and where I buy anything - or make myself if possible.

My decision, after a lot of thought is to purchase the X32 Rack once I have enough saved up. If all goes well, I should have enough by the end of the year. This will be mounted in a flight case that will go on top of the amp flight cases (which are already on wheels). This stack will be rolled into the event and located to one side of the stage. Close by I'll have a small table that will have a laptop with the XControl hooked to the X32 Rack with an ethernet cable.

I'm also planning on mounting a wireless router in the X32 Rack case to allow me to use either the laptop or later an iPad mini wirelessly anywhere I can find a small space in the venue. I've already played with the XControl and X32 at the church and have become confident that this solution is very robust, reliable and versatile. Because I use headphones a lot for monitoring, I'm also planning on using a wireless set.

This new setup will reduce my footprint in any venue, eliminate most of my snakes (except for possibly on stage for drums, etc), and eliminate most of my outboard gear (compressors, EQ, Fx, etc). It will also reduce the space and weight of the equipment that I will have to haul in my 4'x6' enclosed trailer that I pull behind my Jetta diesel.

Future plans will be to obtain S16 and P16 as funds allow.

Hope that helps in your decision making

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Vannatto View Post
    <snip>
    My decision, after a lot of thought is to purchase the X32 Rack once I have enough saved up. If all goes well, I should have enough by the end of the year. This will be mounted in a flight case that will go on top of the amp flight cases (which are already on wheels). This stack will be rolled into the event and located to one side of the stage. Close by I'll have a small table that will have a laptop with the XControl hooked to the X32 Rack with an ethernet cable.

I'm also planning on mounting a wireless router in the X32 Rack case to allow me to use either the laptop or later an iPad mini wirelessly anywhere I can find a small space in the venue. I've already played with the XControl and X32 at the church and have become confident that this solution is very robust, reliable and versatile. Because I use headphones a lot for monitoring, I'm also planning on using a wireless set.

This new setup will reduce my footprint in any venue, eliminate most of my snakes (except for possibly on stage for drums, etc), and eliminate most of my outboard gear (compressors, EQ, Fx, etc). It will also reduce the space and weight of the equipment that I will have to haul in my 4'x6' enclosed trailer that I pull behind my Jetta diesel.

Future plans will be to obtain S16 and P16 as funds allow.

Hope that helps in your decision making

Paul
    Thanks Paul,

Do you have any concerns about loosing the faders/knobs? Also, are you confident that the Rack/PC setup will be reliable enough?

I think that the Rack with PC and a tablet will be the best all round for me, I can always add the S16 if I need more I/O. However, my experience of recording and mixing with a PC has been rather negative for me. I really disliked having to move faders with a mouse, and in the end I used my MixWizard with the DAW. The thing that may be different is the use of a tablet, I can see that this could work much better for me.

If only I could find an X32 and iPad that I could play with. Sadly where I live X32's are pretty much non-existent, none of the shops I have contacted have on in stock either. I wish Behringer could arrange a demo for me.

Hi Paul,

I'm interested in your thoughts on this scenario. I do have the full X32 and appreciate more with every show I do. At this time I am using a maulti-core until I can finance the S16 (X2). I do a lot of festival gigs as well as weddings and corporate events. I was considering (1) X32 Rack and (1) S16. I know the cost would be more however I think I could use the Rack in place of (1) S16 on a festival show where (2) would be needed for a full 32 X 16. Where space is of a premium I could use just the Rack as described above. I may even think of giving the Rack FOH duties and the desk monitor duties on other larger events.

Thanks,
    Thomas

It never hurts to have extra inputs! I totally understand getting what you want! And the new products look great! I was going to wait for the Producer because I had a custom rack that held my SL 16.4.2. Then I started thinking. Remember when analog boards were the only option? Years ago a 16 Channel anything would have been bigger than the X32. We found a way to fit those monsters in the smallest of rooms. My band is 3 piece and doesn't use many channels. This summer when we have opening acts it sure will be nice to have enough channels! Just a thought.

Super User
    Hi Neil

Do you have any concerns about loosing the faders/knobs? Also, are you confident that the Rack/PC setup will be reliable enough?
    Even though we have the full X32 in front of us each Sunday, I have been playing with the XControl on the PC beside it since December. From someone who vowed last year I'd never go digital (give me a knob that I can touch and turn), the XControl and X32 has converted me. The faders and knobs on the XControl are very responsive. And the response of the X32 to the changes are literally instantaneous. So far I've not encountered any disconnect or hesitation from my changes in XControl to the X32. A couple of the other sound engineers have their iPad with the XiControl on it. And they are very impressed with it. Matt has actually mixed a rehearsal using only his iPad and didn't have a glitch. I guess neither of us yet has bit the bullet and tried mixing a church service solely using software only. I'm on for this Sunday. So maybe I should make the jump and just do it and let you know how it went.

I think that the Rack with PC and a tablet will be the best all round for me, I can always add the S16 if I need more I/O. However, my experience of recording and mixing with a PC has been rather negative for me. I really disliked having to move faders with a mouse, and in the end I used my MixWizard with the DAW. The thing that may be different is the use of a tablet, I can see that this could work much better for me.
    That was my thinking as well until the X32. I would suggest downloading the software (it's free) and play with it.

If only I could find an X32 and iPad that I could play with. Sadly where I live X32's are pretty much non-existent, none of the shops I have contacted have on in stock either. I wish Behringer could arrange a demo for me.
    Are you anywhere near Detroit, MI? We are about an hour north, but on the Canadian side (6 miles from the border). If so, I would love to give you a chance to play with our setup.

Paul

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast