You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: PM6000 with Virtualizer ?

PM6000 with Virtualizer ?

We have a PM6000 mixer.

We want to apply a Behringer Virtualizer to one of the channels.

Q) Where would we plug it in ?

I assume it is not wise to plug a Mic into the Virtualizer then come out of it into a XLR input on the PM6000 desk ?
    Last edited by john kirk; 04-27-2013 at 01:10 AM.

Super User
    Hi John,

The PM6000 already has 2 Fx engines built in. Is there a specific reason to add a 3rd Fx to a particular channel? If so, and you only want that Fx for that particular channel, you can plug the mic into one of the inputs of the Virtualizer. but you would get only the processed (wet signal) coming out to the PM6000, unless you want to fiddle with the wet/dry ratio in the Virtualizer. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Vannatto View Post
    Hi John,

The PM6000 already has 2 Fx engines built in. Is there a specific reason to add a 3rd Fx to a particular channel? If so, and you only want that Fx for that particular channel, you can plug the mic into one of the inputs of the Virtualizer. but you would get only the processed (wet signal) coming out to the PM6000, unless you want to fiddle with the wet/dry ratio in the Virtualizer. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Paul
    We have a Trumpet and a Sax using the 2 channels of the Virtualizer with the big Behringer midi floor controller.
    We use pitch doubling and deep echo's for Reggae.. at times, deep flanges ...

In our old mixer we plugged 2 mics inline through a 19" DBX compressor then into the Virtualizer then into a XLR mic channel each.
    It caused some hiss but seemed to work.
    I have a feeling it will work this way once more with the PM6000 mixer... but... just wondered if it were possible to insert the outboard effects into the desk (and apply to whichever channel) whilst also plugging directly to the desks XLR Preamps.
    The manual imply's this can be done....

For example.... what would happen I plugged a mic into the XLR and fed a jack to the I/O jack insert on the same channel strip ??
    would it go BOOM .... or, will that do what I want it to do ?

Super User
    Hi John,

No it won't go boom. What I would suggest is to get yourself an insert cable (1/4" TRS plug on one end and two 1/4" TS plugs on the other end). Plug the mic into the mic input of one of the channels of the PM6000. Then plug the 1/4" TRS plug (looks like a stereo plug) into the insert jack of that channel. Finally plug the IN 1/4" TS plug (a mono plug) into the In of the Virtualizer and the OUT 1/4" TS plug into the Out of the same channel of the Virtualizer.

The insert jack have contacts incorporated into it that breaks the signal path when you insert the plug into it. The signal will come in from the mic input, through the preamp, then redirected to the tip of the 1/4" TRS insert cable plug to the In of the virtualizer. It is then processed and returned Out the Virtualizer to the ring (next section of the TRS plug) back into the mixer to continue its path through that channel.

Hope that helps

Paul

so....

If I plugged one of these into the insert jack of the PM6000

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swamp-Audi...item483a94e80f

and used 2 mono cables to the in and out of a single channel on the Virtualizer
    then... anything plugged into the XLR of the same channel strip will have the Virtualizer effect applied to it ?

And., I would use a second adapter in exactly the same way for the 2nd Virtualizer channel.

??

And let me get this right ... I dont use the line in socket ? I use the Insert I/O ?

So, the one stereo plug is capable of sending the dry signal to one of the virtualizer mono 'in' the receiving the wet signal back through the mono out, back into the same stereo plug ?
    Last edited by john kirk; 04-28-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Super User
    Hi John,

Yes that adaptor would work. But you would be better with something like this
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hosa-Effects-...ht_1387wt_1075
    I have a few of the 10' cables but otherwise identical.

Yes you would need a second one for the second channel of the Virtualizer is you so wish to use it.

Yes, you would plug the 1/4" TRS end into the Insert I/O jack of that channel. The Line in is for input only (guitar, CD, etc.)

Yes, you explained the signal path correctly.

Paul

Thanks very much for the support Paul !

Super User
    Glad to help John. Let me know if you run into any snags. Otherwise have fun with the setup.

Paul