You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: L/R balance on Q1202USB works through headphone but acts like a volume knob on PC.

L/R balance on Q1202USB works through headphone but acts like a volume knob on PC.

Hey all,

Recording four people for a round table discussion with a Q1202USB. Each of the mic inputs has a L/R balance knob. I would like to put two mic channels a little left and two a little right to give the recording more of a "roomy" effect.

When I use the L/R knobs and listen straight from the mixer through my headphones everything sounds great. When I record with Audacity however they L/R balance acts almost like a volume knob. Turning one mic all the way left makes it loud and turning another all the way right makes it silent.

Anyone have any ideas? It suggests to me that Audacity is only recording in mono but as far as I can tell it's set to stereo and the recording track appears as though it is.

Thanks.

Michael.Maeurer
    Dear Jamien,

please check also within the setup of audacity that 2 channels (stereo) is selected for recording. It seems that you are only recording channel 1 (Left).

Hi could someone have a look and see if I've done anything obviously wrong. This picture shows it better than anything, but as you can see, it's set to "stereo", it's recording two channels, however when the knob isn't in the center both channels still show the exact same amplitude:

Untitled.png

Should inserting a picture not work, you can view it at this link as well:

http://i.imgur.com/bLU7YBJ.png

edit: Incidentally I've also tried moving the L/R knob in Sony Sound Forge as well and it does the same thing so the issue isn't isolated to Audacity.
    Last edited by jamienprice; 04-23-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Michael.Maeurer
    Dear Jamien,

if you also have 2 channels (stereo) selected in the preferences (press CTRL+P) under devices -> Record then you may have a defective unit.

Yep, it is set under that option as stereo. So you think it may be worth returning my device to the store? It's been less than 30days.

Right so I returned the device to the store and they swapped it. Problem is the issue still exists. So as it stands I've tried multiple computers, multiple usb ports, two different sound recording programs and now two different Q1202USB mixers and it still isn't recording stereo properly with a L/R balance.

Someone must have experienced this issue. Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by jamienprice View Post
    Right so I returned the device to the store and they swapped it. Problem is the issue still exists. So as it stands I've tried multiple computers, multiple usb ports, two different sound recording programs and now two different Q1202USB mixers and it still isn't recording stereo properly with a L/R balance.

Someone must have experienced this issue. Can anyone help?
    Hi Jamien,

Thanks for contacting us. I have looked into this issue and found the problem to be driver related. I too have experienced the same issue when recording with Audacity using the Windows default CODEC driver as the Recording and Playback device. To solve the issue and have Audacity recording in the way you want it to then you need to simply install the USB Audio Driver, 32-bit USB ASIO driver or 64-bit USB ASIO driver (depending on your machine). You can download these from our website via the link below.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Support/...Downloads.aspx

Once you have downloaded the selected driver, open the zip file and copy the nested folder to a location on your hard drive or you can drag and drop it onto your desk top. Then simply launch the setup exe file and when prompted connect the USB of the mixer. Once installation is complete you will need to re start your machine, then launch Audacity.

In EDIT > PREFERENCES > DEVICES set INTERFACE HOST to WINDOWS DIRECT SOUND.

Under PLAYBACK and RECORDING select BEHRINGER USB WDM USB AUDIO.

Set CHANNELS to 2 (STEREO).

You should now be able to use the PAN control on your input channel to send the input signal to the Left and Right side of the Stereo image that is being recorded on Audacity.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards
    Jim Knowles
    CARE EMEA / Tech Support
    MUSIC Group / BEHRINGER

DRIVERS!? You're kidding me. Thank you so much. Next time I'm in where ever you're from remind me to buy you a beer. That worked a treat.