You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: X32 to Press Box Issue

Cool X32 to Press Box Issue

Hi, Yesterday my company was doing sound for a Political Rally in Springfield, Illinois USA and I had an issue that hopefully someone can help me with. The Governor was speaking to a group of 1000 or so people. After we arrived and got our system set up we decided to ask a cameraman to check our signal. This particular cameraman was broadcasting a live audio video feed to all of the Chicago TV/Radio stations. I had setup a matrix out to feed the audio signal for the broadcast. The cameraman said that he was getting a clear, clean signal and it was great. The State of Illinois AV people brought out a gang box to split the audio for the other cameramen in attendance. When it was hooked-up I heard complaints about a swirling sound. We checked the board no problem we plugged our output directly into the original cameraman's camera the noise was not present. So we no that the combination of the board to that box was where the problem was. However when we plugged in a mic directly to the gang box we didn't get swirling sound. Anyone have any ideas. We have 8 more of these booked over the next 6 weeks. I would like to figure out what could be causing the problem. They are paying us $1000 per event and each event is only 3 hours.

The cameraman for Chicago did use the feed directly from the X32 with no problems and many compliments.

Equipment list:
    Podium
    (2) wireless mic systems
    Beheringer X32
    Lynksys E3000 Wireless Router
    (2) Crown XTi 2000 power amps
    (2) EV 212T speakers
    (2) 75' speaker cables
    (1) electrical quadbox

Total time on site from load-in to load-out 3 hours & 15 minutes.

Thanks
    Bill
    Bill Schnake
    Schnake Sound, Inc
    Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

Hi Bill,

Splitting a signal to multiple feeds can often be tricky.
    You might want to try a box like the BEHRINGER MX882:
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MX882.aspx

I believe this issue can often happen if the people getting a feed are on a separate AC circuit from the console.
    Analog "splitter snakes" are often "ground isolated" on the split, providing a ground switch to solve these types of noise issues.

I hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Joe Sanborn
    Manager, Channel Marketing
    MUSIC Group
    BEHRINGER

Hey Joe,
    So what you are saying, is to add something like an ISO DI to the feed before the splitter, to relieve any hum, if it is indeed there?

Thanks,

James

The swirling could ba a phase issue, possibly caused by having a mono input from you and having a camera mic also switched on.

Trev, that is something that I had not thought of. It makes sense to me now that you mention ir.

Thanks
    Bill
    Bill Schnake
    Schnake Sound, Inc

Super User
    Hey Bill,

Is there a reason why you don't simply provide everyone a separate feed from the X32, since you have 16+6 outputs on the back? It wouldn't answer the question why the swirling sound is happening, but would get around the problem. If you were in Ontario, Canada, I would say the source of that sound would probably be the politician

Paul

Cool

Paul, I had the same idea. They had 7 cameras and I could easily assigned a matrix to the first 7 outs. I had already assigned the first 6. The short answer is that the Press has an agreement with the State of Illinois that they have to use a feed from and only from the press box supplied by the State of Illinois. Just about the dumbest thing that I have heard.

Bill
    Bill Schnake
    Schnake Sound, Inc

Jaffrey, New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    What is the name of the press box that is supplied from the state of Illinois?
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

Cool

Hi Henry, I am not sure what brand of the State provides. We have another event on the 4th of June and I will see if I can find out.

Thanks
    Bill
    Bill Schnake
    Schnake Sound, Inc

USE A PRESS BOX. A buddy of mine just burned up a couple outputs on his console by letting some knucklehead plug in directly. Phantom power will burn up stuff pretty quick unless your outputs are transformer isolated. Dont trust other folks with making sure they dont mess up your console. If you have to do it, make sure for yourself that there is no phantom power on their end.