You are here: Home » Forum
BEHRINGER_Billboard-XD80USB

Thread: Born Too Soon

Born Too Soon ... Life Is Good

Are you guys enjoying your X32 as much as I am?

I've had several great shows recently and used the X32, the two S16s, a Cat5 snake, XiControl, and XiQ in various combinations with different groups and it just doesn't get any better.

I've been playing in bands and doing FOH sound since the '60s (ok ... I am "old as dirt") and I must say that I have never experienced such a combination of quality tools as I have at my fingertips with this package.

Have you experienced the "wow" factor yet? That's when some tech-savvy guy comes up and says ... "what are you doing with that iPad?" Or ... "why are you standing here at the bar?" I've even had one person inquire if I was the photographer! haha

One band commented that they were impressed how small that snake was! Yep ... a 32/16 copper snake would certainly be a little larger than that Cat5!

Life is good!
    Last edited by Bob Harvey; 04-08-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    Bob

Hey Bob, I'm not far behind you. I have been providing audio since the mid '70s. We are old. It certainly is cool that 1) you only have to bring one piece of equipment for FOH. No more large effects racks and the power is so much better. 2) that you can actually move away from the mixer or leave it by the stage and mix from an iPad. For guys like you and I who have pretty much seen it all this is very cool.

Best of luck to you.

Bill
    Bill Schnake
    Schnake Sound, Inc
    Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harvey View Post
    Are you guys enjoying your X32 as much as I am?

I've had several great shows recently and used the X32, the two S16s, a Cat5 snake, XiControl, and XiQ in various combinations with different groups and it just doesn't get any better.

I've been playing in bands and doing FOH sound since the '60s (ok ... I am "old as dirt") and I must say that I have never experienced such a combination of quality tools as I have at my fingertips with this package.

Have you experienced the "wow" factor yet? That's when some tech-savvy guy comes up and says ... "what are you doing with that iPad?" Or ... "why are you standing here at the bar?" I've even had one person inquire if I was the photographer! haha

One band commented that they were impressed how small that snake was! Yep ... a 32/16 copper snake would certainly be a little larger than that Cat5!

Life is good!
    Bob,

I find it refreshing to see a seasoned sound man like yourself embracing new technology instead of bashing it. I have recently done quite a bit of research into replacing my venerable MixWiz which I use for my own band with one of the many new digital mixers that I now happily find within my price range.

I have found many older sound men simply hate digital mixers, and the more digital it is, the more they hate it. This is confusing to me since I look at the amount of time, money and learning went into my MixWiz rig and think to myself ..... "are you kidding me? All this is part of the mixer!". Not only is it part of the mixer, but it sounds really good too ..... with features that are beyond anything that a analog mixer could possibly hope to do.

I have to admit, when I first started looking into replacing my rig, I was really only looking at the SL 16.4.2 because ... well, I understood it. It looks and acts pretty much like a board I am used to. I didn't want to worry about "buses" and "matrix mixes" (whatever those things are ).

But then, as I learned more, played around with the XControl app, spent some time at GC playing around with an X32, read tons of glowing reviews on the product, I slowly started to do 2 things.

One, I decided that although I have had no good experiences with the quality of Behringer products in the past, this product might be worth a try.

Two, learning about modern digital mixing will actually make my gigs easier, not harder.

Just one question. Did you have these same issues before you bought your X32, or were you already familiar with digital mixing enough that at least the digital transition was not a big deal for you?

P.S. My 100ft analog reel snake will be one piece of equipment that I most surely will not miss

Good to hear from you , Bill. If we keep doing this a few more years, maybe we'll qualify for some sort of senior discount!

Scott ... I also had a MixWiz for a number of years and then got the PreSonus SL16 in the fall of 2009. I've had a digital home studio since the late '90s, so moving from analog to digital for live sound was a relatively painless transition. Hopefully, those resistant to change will see the path to enlightenment sooner rather than later.

The SL16 is a nice board, but the features on the X32 were too robust to pass up. I'll likely pick up an iX16 later this summer for those occasions when I'm playing (bass) with a small combo and don't need the horsepower of the X32. I've used the Mackie DL1608 on stage and can't wait to give the iX16 a try. It's got so much more going for it.

Twice I had to send my SL to PreSonus for repair. The power supply or some other gremlin caused it to lock up and become useless. So far, I've not heard of any major problems with the X32. I'm sure that any digital product can have its moments. My friend's A&H iLive was DOA and my co-worker's Avid SC48 had one channel strip dead right out of the box. Few appear immune to a gremlin here or there.

Let us know when you make the leap of faith into digital.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harvey View Post
    Good to hear from you , Bill. If we keep doing this a few more years, maybe we'll qualify for some sort of senior discount!

Scott ... I also had a MixWiz for a number of years and then got the PreSonus SL16 in the fall of 2009. I've had a digital home studio since the late '90s, so moving from analog to digital for live sound was a relatively painless transition. Hopefully, those resistant to change will see the path to enlightenment sooner rather than later.

The SL16 is a nice board, but the features on the X32 were too robust to pass up. I'll likely pick up an iX16 later this summer for those occasions when I'm playing (bass) with a small combo and don't need the horsepower of the X32. I've used the Mackie DL1608 on stage and can't wait to give the iX16 a try. It's got so much more going for it.

Twice I had to send my SL to PreSonus for repair. The power supply or some other gremlin caused it to lock up and become useless. So far, I've not heard of any major problems with the X32. I'm sure that any digital product can have its moments. My friend's A&H iLive was DOA and my co-worker's Avid SC48 had one channel strip dead right out of the box. Few appear immune to a gremlin here or there.

Let us know when you make the leap of faith into digital.
    Bob,

It seems like a bizzaro world we find ourselves in today. Soundcraft and Allen & Heath having reliability issues, and Behringer having a nearly perfect launch. 12 months ago, I would have laughed at the idea of spending 4 figures on anything "Behringer". Go figure.

Thanks for your feedback on your experience with the different brand mixers. I have recently posted that it seems like the new Soundcraft Expression Si has gotten a "by" for its crashes and lockups while despite the huge number of positive reviews on the X32, there are still many that simply won't purchase it. This got me a rash of censure from a host of loyal Soundcraft sound pros.

I really want to get the X32 Producer, but may "settle" for the X32 Rack if it is released first since I play in a band and mix from stage. I think I can setup scenes for the various mixes we use, then use a MIDI foot pedal to recall the scene remotely. The XiControl can be used for remote setup of the gains, then set on my mic stand holder for input monitoring (to make sure those pesky musicians don't change their volume through the gig ).

The X32 is really going to be a game changer for my workflow. Being able to record, remix, and save scenes for gigs is really double cool