You are here: Home » Forum

Thread: Thumping noise on boot

Thumping noise on boot

Hey guys, I have this weird issue on boot, from the time the console is turned on until the boot screen goes away it creates an oscillating/thumping noise from all of the 16 bus sends. And it sounds really bad for the speakers. I have been making sure my amps are off all the way from boot to up and running but I can't guarantee every guy running this board will remember to do that. It hasn't always done it but for the last month it has done it every time I boot. Any suggestions would be great. I am running the latest firmware.

Practically every mixer will produce a surge/thump on boot. You should always turn your power amps on after the mixer.

Hi Brian,

I would recommend getting a sequencer that turns items on in sequence (e.g. 2 second increments) and turns off in the reverse order. Carvin has a good one. We have one at our church setup and wouldn't be without it.

Paul

Thanks for the advice Paul, eventually a sequencer will be added to the system, but I don't think that will help with this issue, in fact I don't think you could use a sequencer with this issue unless it can delay upwards of 30 seconds. The thumping/oscillating noise is not the initial "kick" you usually get with any sound board on power up, it is a continuous noise that is present from the time the power switch is thrown on the board until the board has completely started up and the boot/splash screen is gone. I actually have to make sure my amps stay off until it has completely booted. I hope this makes sense.

Brian

Power amps are always last to turn on...first to turn off.

in my situation, my x32 is silent to all outputs during boot. you have some problem with your hw

Hi Brian,

Come to think of it, I'm not getting this on bootup at all. It is during shutdown, when the S16's turn off I get a peaking on all vu meters. This is not an issue since the sequencer has turned off the amps previous to the S16. As Jiri has mentioned, you may have a problem with your console.

Paul

Dear Brian,

Sorry to hear about the thumping noise on boot you're describing. Where are you located?
    Kind regards,

Chase McKnight
    Jr. Admin, Care
    MUSIC Group

Quote Originally Posted by Chase McKnight View Post
    Dear Brian,

Sorry to hear about the thumping noise on boot you're describing. Where are you located?
    Abilene, TX, do you have any ideas? Btw how many more post until my post do not have to be moderated anymore? It makes these discussions take way longer than they should, especially when there are mis-communications that have the conversation heading down a direction that isn't towards solving the actual problem? It was kinda frustrating that I responded to Paul within 30 minutes that it wasn't and amps on before the board problem, but by the time my post had been moderator approved there was another post about a problem that wasn't there, and I just sat helplessly and watched, lol. Thanks in advanced for the help.